from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi

This blog included. "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them. Buddha - Kalama Sutta

Saturday, 12 December 2009

Yoganidrasana , my old way and now the new way

So I've changed my approach to Yoganidrasana.

I've started to do it the more 'elegant' way one leg at a time with the other outstretched.

However, for the last year or so I did the Swenson way, the kind of happy baby approach which is perhaps an easier way to get into it.

So before I say farewell to it completely, here's a video of the approach that has served me so well and might be of use to someone else.



I'll see about making a video of the new way and post it here later. And here it is.




The first video was another from the pre practice Epsom Salt day. Felt I got into it a little deeper, though perhaps that makes it a tighter bind rather than the longer back I'm now after. Similar thing with Dwi Pada Sirasana in deeper but perhaps resulting in a more curved back than a straighter one. Question now, how to get into these deeper and yet still be able to stretch through them.......

6 comments:

  1. You fascinate me, must say it again. It is a wonderful yoganidrasana. :)

    I need an adjustment to be able to do it. It is OK for me as it is a rather new pose. And it is getting better and better each time I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grimmly - like the "happy baby" term...this is how I get in! Haven't tried one leg at a time before, it looks tougher. Once I'm in there, my teacher will sometimes give an adjustment to push the butt down and the feet back to straighten the legs which also straightens the back a bit and helps the torso come further through - not sure how you would replicate that adjustment in a home practice but it feels really good! Strangely, for me it makes the bind feel better too.
    I'm not able to do it every time but it is one of those poses that when it works and you're in, you feel like you could hang out there all day, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grimmly, although I can only dream of getting to that state I love these videos, and I love how you are saying goodbye to the old way of doing it and hello to your more mature practice. You are a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't Maehle recommend "active release" which is this case would be trying to straighten the legs? I should reread or even quote before I say that (lest I be giving wrong advice) but I know he rec's "active release" although also for "advanced students."

    ReplyDelete
  5. KMB, so the 'happy baby' approach was how you were taught at the shala? I just kinda assumed i'd been doing it wrong for the last year. New way does look a little neater though, I watched the Swenson DVD again and he starts off in the 'happy baby' then straightens one leg while he puts the other around his head, so a bit of both.

    Thanks Ursula, Claudia.

    Will have to check that section again in the Maehle Patrick, i confess I haven't gotten around to reading the LBH section carefully yet, just flicked through it. Does he say advanced? i know he has the advanced option for Kapo. Just checked and he phrases it.

    'Active release technique; Caution; This method is only for practitioners already proficient in Leg-behind-head postures.'

    It's to do with medially rotating the femur and attempting to straighten the leg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grimmly - yes, I think my teacher is letting me use whatever works for now, but when I am able to get into it consistently she will likely insist on a traditional entry. It has happened before; just when you think you've figured something out, you learn that there's another way and more work ahead of you! :-) I'm not sure how it works in a stricter shala though, others may be learning the tougher method first.

    ReplyDelete

Print

Creative Commons License
Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga at home by Anthony Grim Hall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/.