Monday, 3 May 2010

I saw my toes! Towards Viparita salabhasana & Ganda Bherundasana

When I do my Ashtanga 2ND series I include all of the Vinyasa Krama Bow sequence. It's pretty much the same as the first part of Intermediate anyway just a few more salabhasana variations etc. It includes Viparita salabhasana & Ganda Bherundasana. It's a little different than how they're done in 3rd series, in VK the hands are clasped. I tried both clasped and unclasped and found clasped easier, a little more control.

I saw my toes!, how cool is that, there you are wrapped up in trying to deepen your bend, thinking about moving your feet closer to your head and all of a sudden your pinkies come into view, "well hello", quite disorientating first time it happens. Almost burst out laughing. Thing about it is, you never know how close your feet are to your head. Sometimes I've thought they were close then checked the video and found they were still miles away. When you see your toes it's like wow, that close, OK now if I can just see a little more of them and then bring them towards my nose they should end up closer to the top of my head. Still a way to go of course, but it's coming.

It all felt very relaxed this time, quite comfortable and I was happy with the exit, more control, almost floaty, if i could just get that in my clunky Karanda exit....


M thinks that the Vipparita Salmbhasana in the screenshot above looks more like the Japanese Shachihoko (tiger head/ carp body), found atop castles, than a locust.



















After these your into Dhanurasana and then I pick up 2nd series as usual. Managed to land on my heels using the hands locked begin head method, not getting in as deep as as the walk your hands in to your heels pushing up all the time approach but I like this new approach.


Oh and talking about seeing toes I managed to see and touch my heels (even hold onto them with my fingertips) in Urdhava Dhanurasana walking in. Feet could perhaps be a little, just a smidgin, straighter, I mean you hardly notice but if you look carefully you might notice they're a little SPLAYED.

So backbends went well yesterday and of course I slept like a baby, a real baby IE. waking up every hour.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I've been reading your blog for a while and what I find inspiring is the fact you really progress in your practice. Well the knees are splayed, agreed. Your back however is nicelu opening (unless it cracks but we don't hear the sound on YouTube;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are very good.

    Éva from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you eva, seeing the toes was a nice moment.

    Thank you too Anon, but perhaps the progress comes at the cost of some bad habits. It's an effective practice but perhaps not so elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Print

Creative Commons License
Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga at home by Anthony Grim Hall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/.

from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi

from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi This blog included. "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them. Buddha - Kalama Sutta