from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi

This blog included. "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them. Buddha - Kalama Sutta

Thursday, 23 September 2010

Baddha padmasana, Supta vajrasana

I was looking for an old photo or movie of my Lotus to show how it's changed in the last couple of weeks (re yesterday's post). While hunting around my old video files I came across this from a couple of years ago taken on my phone, must be one of the first movies I took.

What struck me was this was back when I was struggling with grabbing both toes in Baddha Padmasana and came up with a 'cheat', basically to thread one arm behind the other when reaching for the second toe, kind of acts like a brace to work your arm around.

video

Here's a better angle on what's going on behind, another old video.

And the proper bind, this comes from a Vinyasa Krama subroutine of the Lotus sequence.


and while where at it, a solo Supta vajrasana, which has the same bind, it goes a little wrong on the lotus jump back exit and I couldn't resist re posting it.


4 comments:

  1. Hey there, haven't been here for a while, just on a quick flick through, but have to share what a yogi friend share with me for us homers for this asana.

    If you get a board fairly long and the width narrower than your knee width in padmasana and sit on it, then a yoga strap under the board and over your knees, holding them in place and then a the strap around your feet to pull them up, and inch hands down towards toes, you can get a totally satisfying asana when there is no helpful teacher, spouse, friend around to oblige. I tried the cushion thing but it didn't seem to work as well. Can you picture it? It was such a break through for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi エスタ, are you describing a way to get into Baddha padmasana or Supta vajrasana, got a bit confused. I thought Baddha padmasana but then you mentioned the cushion which I use for solo Supta vajrasana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, yes I was talking about Supta vajrasana, i can't keep hold of my toes while I go back, and needed someone to hold my knees down. I tried with cushions and couches ;D This board allows me to do it bymyself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, thanks for the clarification, looking around the house now for something that might work. If I find something I'll post a video....hmmmm ironing board???????

    ReplyDelete

Print

Creative Commons License
Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga at home by Anthony Grim Hall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/.