from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi

This blog included. "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them. Buddha - Kalama Sutta

Monday, 13 December 2010

The Complete Ashtanga Yoga Syllabus demonstrated by David Williams

Oh My, just went to David Williams site to check something, re the old Ashtanga Syllubus and found that he's now selling a poster of the the whole Syllabus as he learned it from Sri K Pattabhi Jois. That's Primary, Intermediate, Advanced and B all on one giant poster designed, I believe by Barbara Stanley.


















Something I hadn't heard before was that there was supposedly a framed poster of the syllabus on the wall of the old shala. he has this to say about it.

'When I arrived in Mysore in 1973, the "Ashtanga Yoga Syllabus" was framed and hung on the wall of Pattabhi Jois' Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute. Pattabhi Jois told me the syllabus was the list of the four series of postures and pranayama from the Yoga Korunta, written in the 12th century by the yogi, Vamana. He explained to me that this ancient text was taught orally to his guru, T. Krishnamacharya, by his guru in Tibet, Rama Mohan Brahmachari. Several years later, Krishnamacharya, following the directions of his guru, found a written copy of the Yoga Korunta in the library of the Maharaja of Calcutta. Krishnamacharya made a copy of the manuscript'.

Here's the link, I ordered one dear reader.

*Heard from Barbara this morning re ordering from abroad (I'd ticked the wrong box)

"SHIPPING PREFERENCES: U.S. Domestic orders, please choose USPS
DOMESTIC-PRIORITY MAIL or USPS DOMESTIC-PARCEL POST for your shipping
preference. International orders, please choose USPS INTL-PRIORITY MAIL
INTERNATIONAL or USPS INTL-EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL ONLY. This allows us
to track your package. Your order will be shipped in a tube. Thank you."

5 comments:

  1. I think I want one too! Such a nice site David Williams has, never been there before. Thanks for posting so I could find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My yoga studio has a copy on the wall. Its nice but I think $75 is alot of $ for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome Loo.

    I agree laura. bit steep but I figured it's pretty big, all four series and a bit of history, couldn't resist it. Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely picking one of these up. As you pointed out, it is Christmas time and all....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought one, prior to it being made public. I had emailed David Williams asking about one of the poses not being in the Intermediate Series, and he said it was an error. He mentioned that he had just had the Complete Ashtanga Yoga Syllabus printed hot off the press, so I said send me one. I did not know the price until the next day. He had it mailed and I sent the check the next day. It arrived with a written greeting and autographed and saying Aloha....I had it framed and it now hangs in studio where I do led class in Ashtanga Yoga for Life.

    ReplyDelete

Print

Creative Commons License
Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga at home by Anthony Grim Hall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/.