Thursday, 14 April 2011

Wide angle jelly lens for smart phone and 5 rocks in Garba Pindasana

This from Claudia's blog
'The most dramatic (change) perhaps is that the rolling back and forward in garba pindasana is now done only 5 times. It used to be 9 which seemed very appropriate as the pose represents a child in the womb, but, changes happen.'

I don't know which it is, not too bothered about it, I'll try the five for a bit and decide which one I like best, I kind of liked nine though. Claudia's probably up to date as she's practicing with Sharath in NYC this week.

Started to wonder how many I do actually do, don't tend to count, did I learn nine in the beginning or did I just work my way around without any concern for how many. I found a video from last year and it looks like I come up on the ninth.

CK's done a post on this, there's a link in the comments but I'm putting another one here because there's a nice video of KPJ teaching it. Here's the link

Mainly this is an excuse to try out the Jelly wide angle stick on lens for the new Samsung galaxy S as well as it's black and white effect.

The first attempt is actually six rocks, the second go is five but I'm a little off the mat, but it's certainly doable. I center the shot a little better on the second, getting rid of some of the blurring around the edges. Right at the end I've cut in a shot without the lens so you can see the difference.

This is all a bit rough, first proper practice back using my hand after the screwdriver incident but you get the idea.



These are just a couple of quid on ebay, will fit on most phones and will allow you to film your practice indoors in limited space. It's kind of like that sticky stuff they make toys out of you throw at window. you stick it on and peel it off as many times as you like.

7 comments:

  1. That gizmo looks really cool.

    Three generations on the Garba question:


    Guruji: "Nine times rounding."

    Sharath: Five times (as of 2008)

    Manju: "It doesn't matter."




    The count was always five, regardless of the number of times rounding.


    Personally, I'd go with the guru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CK, Isn't it great and only around, what $5 your money, bargin. It will do till I sort out a replacement camera.

    I've bben thinking about it, I'm not sure I ever really counted how many times i rocked around, must look up an old video when I get home. Five times kind of makes sense if we go with the breath, I suspect i used to go round in seven and take seven short breaths while doing it.

    need to explore this.

    go with the guru would make a great t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rolling five times around the mat in the led has actually been working out fantastic for finding the right momentum, I find that the rotation on the upper back axis has to be faster, and I am actually having fun with it...

    Cannot see the video or picture or what you put there I think the connection here is not so good... oh well, later on, but really like the green thing... so cool... whatever it is, it looks cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - Boodiba could design the tees!

    I just posted about this, here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have just posted a link to yours in the body of this post. I found a video from last year, looks like I tended to come up into kukkutasana on the ninth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. go with the Guru, except which one is the Guru? the one you name as your Guru, which might not be the the other yogi or yogini's Guru?

    ReplyDelete
  7. keep it simple perhaps
    '
    go with your guru(s)'

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Print

Creative Commons License
Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga at home by Anthony Grim Hall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://grimmly2007.blogspot.co.uk/.

from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi

from Kalama sutra, translation from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi This blog included. "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them. Buddha - Kalama Sutta